viernes, 29 de febrero de 2008

CMC Tools

After reading various articles this semester, I have realized that there are a lot of uses for CMC tools in the classroom. Some seem a little to out there for me, but there are others that have some practical uses. The blogs, for example, are a good way to have students use a different writing medium to kind of change the environment a little. They can control their own space and have others go in and comment on things that they have written. Sometimes the instructor can require students to make comments on content or sometimes on grammar. This can help them in their metalinguistic awareness. Wikis are also a good way for groups of students or the whole class to collaborate on a cultural topic. These two tools are also easily accessible in the future so students can look back on their work and researcher can use this to examine how students learn culture.

Another interesting tool that could be used in the classroom is podcast. This is a good way to take advantage of authentic language from native speakers. It can help with listening comprehension and cultural awareness. The students can also make their own podcasts where fellow students can enter and make comments either on pronunciation or content. This is also great for a researcher who wants to examine oral production.

Chat (voice and text) is also another great tool that can be used in the classroom and it also can be applied in research. Students can participate in discussions through chat (voice and text) to practice negotiation of meaning. This can also elicit some good material for studies on output in chats and how this can affect written or oral production, something that I am interested in.

5 comentarios:

Nik604 dijo...

I think that your idea of studying how output in chats can affect written and oral production is a good one! It seems like there isn't a whole of research on how and in what ways chat experiences can transfer to language skills in general.

Liz E dijo...

hola! i agree with you in that technology can be beneficial in the FL classroom but can also sometimes be overwhelming as teachers to become familiar with! Hopefully this course will help us out with that. I too think that podcasts can be a great resource in the foreign language classroom. It is good for students to hear native speakers and also authentic materials, and podcasts can help out with both of these things. I am planning to do my mini-project on podcasts.

Maya Viktorivna dijo...

Hi Delano,

Thanks for your comments on my blog. I also noticed that when I chat with more than 1 person at the same time, I tend to talk to one person more than to the other. As for me, the reason is not even in liking/disliking, but in the lack of time and in the necessity to respond to the person who shares somehow similar ideas ad mine or is talking about things that sound relevant to me and that I amy coment on at the given moment of communication.
As for Sociolinguistics, I am interested in Language and Gender, Language and Nationalism, Language Conflict, Bilingualism, Language Identity. A long list...

Maya

Mark dijo...

I appreciate how you mention your take on a number of the CMC tools. I agree that podcasts are great for bringing in authentic language from native speakers and also to analyze oral production.

Anthony Palmer dijo...

Since you seem interested in Latino culture, I think it would be interesting if you were to study the children of illegal vs. legal immigrants and CALL and see if their anxiety or inability to integrate successfully inhibit their ability to learn effectively. The growing Latino population warrants further study and the US will have to be honest with itself about becoming a bilingual country and its resentment towards Spanish.