viernes, 15 de febrero de 2008

Reaction to readings

Weekly blog post and comments: reactions to technology and readings so far, ideas for projects, etc. This week, you can reflect on your blog and the elements you can include in a blog (widgets, blogrolls, polls, etc.; images and videos;
documents and other attachments) and the role of these elements in a blog you might use in class.

Little by little I am starting to understand the use of technology in the classroom, atleast different ways that it can be used. As I mentioned to my chat discussion mates, I think that the use is being stretched to far. One of the articles talked about ways to use PDAs and cellphones for doing foreign language activities. I think that's a bit too much. For now, I am just trying to absorb the information I receive from the readings to see if there is something that I can apply in my classes.

As I was reading, I came up with the idea of doing a podcast for my class, in which I can do some listening comprehension activities, and I think that this will work for my first mini-Project. I still need to work on the details for how to measure the students' comprehension.

This week in class, I added some videos from youtube to my page. I really like using YouTube in my class because it gives me easy access cultural material. I especially like to show my students videos about Panama. There are music videos, newscast, amateur video, etc.

2 comentarios:

Javier dijo...

We both agree on the use of youtube. What a great incentive to the students...knowing that they can watch the video from home or wherever they want and practice. I think we must be very selective though...and try not to show them content with errors etc. As for the use of podcasts I personally know some FL teachers working on this and they have had great results! I like the idea of combining the personal blogs with personal podcasts to practice pronunciation etc. What if, for example, we could make our blog posts as podcasts? We could have a long thread of debates around a topic and download the whole thing as one big pdcast...that would be fun. Still, not everyone would like it the same way. Keep on the bright ideas!

Ashley dijo...

I agree .. I think that they do go a little far in what they try to use in CALL ... but I think the important thing is that they're not afraid to try new things :)

I love how your page is in Spanish!

Ashley (USC)