viernes, 8 de febrero de 2008

Using PowerPoint

Well, I just started using PowerPoint this semester, about 2 weeks ago and I've only done it twice. I've only used it to present grammar so far and I actually made the words animated. I'm really proud of myself. As far as ideas for PowerPoint, it is good for doing cultural presentations because you can embed videos and links to websites throughout the presentation. PowerPoint can be useful because it helps the teacher organize his/her thoughts, which in turn will be helpful to the student because they won't be completely lost, especially if you do grammar lessons in the target language. It is also good for deviating into an activity and being able to quickly go back to the presentation. Really and truly your whole class can be organized into a PowerPoint.

Personally, I am not into PowerPoint. For some reason I feel uncomfortable using it. The times that I have used it so far I feel like I just read off the screen and sometimes I forget to change the slides. I guess these things will improve with time if I continue using PowerPoint in the classroom.

I don't really believe that PowerPoint is a necessary educational tool. I did my whole first semester without PowerPoint at all and I don't think that my students learned less than any other class that did have PowerPoint. I see it as something extra for the students so they don't get bored in class, which can result in an interest in the material.

One thing I was wondering was how to use PowerPoint for vocabulary. Does anyone have any good ideas for presenting vocabulary using PowerPoint so that the students get a visual sense of the words?

4 comentarios:

M dijo...

Yo!
I think your comments are really interesting, and I think it's great that you've finally used Power Point in your class. I have a bit of a different opinion about whether or not it's a good tool in the classroom, and if it helps the students not to get bored, but I think your points are very well made. And, like always, I think everything has its place...and the efficacy of any Power Point relies solely on the person utilizing it. I have a couple of links to vocabulary Power Points that I have used on my post from this week, but I'm not sure that they will be exactly what you're looking for (i.e. visual representations of the words). You can check them out if you feel like it though...

M dijo...

hey chombo, you can look at my new post to get those guides you asked for in your last comment.
hope it helps.

MKeith dijo...

This is the fifth time I have commented on your blog and I'm hoping this is finally the time that I don't lose internet connection for the fifth time. I love technology!!

Anyway, congrats on joining the powerpoint movement. I hope things continue to go well. I was thinking about your question. You could use pictures to present landmark and direction vocabulary; and pix of your family to teach family vocab. It just depends on how creative you want to be I guess. Good luck!

Francisco Salgado-Robles dijo...

Hi Delano,
In checking your .PPT, I learned things I did not know before, you see? Thus I believe that your point came across well.
To a certain point I sympathize with you, in the sense that I had always felt reluctant in using .PPTs in the classroom. However, it is the feedback of our students that made me think why not? They like them!
I also agree that for cultural presentations the use of .PPTs is a good tool, rather than our power of making our students think about what we mean or those flash cards on the blackboard.
That .PPTs can help us to organize our lesson plans, ideas, etc, is very true as well.
Look ahead! Take the best part of your work when using .PPTs, rather than recalling those slight mistakes (e.g., the change of the slides, etc.) we have always made. It is true that sometimes it is the classroom structure rather than our desire to use .PPTs that makes us consider employing them. For the classroom organization we are 'forced' almost to read .PPTs, rather than giving a lecture or class. However, sometimes it is our smart eye (by locating ourselves in a good angle of the classroom) that helps us teach without having a look at .PPTs or, at least, feel we are doing a decent presentation.
In regards to your question, besides video clips, cultural interviews, pictures, movies, etc, I sometimes teach vocabulary with .PPTs in a "jeopardy game". Visual, aural, oral, etc. skills are put into practice by such a way.
Good luck!